Saturday, December 17, 2011

Shoe Philosophy

When I was younger, I used to wear a lot of platform shoes, high heels, boots, and wedges. Even my rubber slippers were elevated. Part of the reason for my shoe preference before was because of my short stature and part of it was because I thought it was a girly and kikay statement. Even on my first 24-hour duty as a medical clerk I wore black leather boots with my uniform. Most of us did. And my feet didn't ache. I was so used to wearing heels for looong periods of time. I continued to do so through my internship days. But when I was applying for my residency in surgery I dropped most of my kikay ways. I didn't wear eye make up anymore, I left my dangling chandelier earings at home, and I stopped wearing heels. My hair was most of the time tied in a pony tail. I had just dyed my hair golden blond back then, and I dyed it dark brown again. All of these I did because I didn't want my seniors and attendings think that I was too girly for surgery. I thought that I needed to project this no-nonsense girl aura, practical, and 100% no frills.

I missed my heels. It lent me confidence by adding to my height. Eventually, I learned to love flats, ballet and baby shoes. I looked and scoured for girly and comfy flats. And I learned to be confident with my height. From time to time I still wore heels, but not so much as I used to. I started to wear minimal make up, and my hair is now dyed golden blonde (but it really looks dark blonde). I no longer have the need to look like a boy to be taken seriously as a surgery resident.

My shoes are now more laid back, comfy, practical but still pretty. With ig-so-soft heels. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

links of posts with similar contents or topics